Thursday, August 4, 2011

A trip down memory lane

I love old things. I love buying old things. My husband always says when I return from an op shop spree " We don't need any more stuff " . When I buy something from an op shop or market or antique store, part of the fun is wondering where it came from and who did it belong to. But what is even better than someone elses old stuff is your own old stuff. When something that was originally your mothers, mothers, mothers that has been handed down the line to you, now that is special. This jug below is from our old family farm, it comes from my Dads side of the family, about three generations ago. It's an old shaving jug and I just love it.
This memory board was put together by my Mum and it's full of so much family history. Dad built the timber and glass box frame for Mum, just one of the gazillion things she nagged him to make for her over the years. Sadly we lost Dad to a brain tumour about five weeks ago, so this is just so special to me now. It is full of old jewellery that came from my great Aunty Chaz, lace gloves that were once hers and some beautiful old wedding photos and postcards from many years ago. It has lots of other little bits and pieces in it, and you can see my Mums marquesite watch that my Dad bought her when she was in her early 20's. I love this watch, and what a great way to be able to look at it everyday rather than having it stored away out of sight in a jewellery box.
This is a painting of my mum's family home that she grew up in, in Horsham Victoria. A few years ago she gave a photograph to a friend who is an artist, and she commissioned her to paint a picture of her family home. It was a great idea. Dad made the frame for this too, so it is such a special piece with great sentimental value.
The car in the garage is my Pops old car. Sadly the house has been demolished to make way for a duplex, so it's great to be able to look at this painting now and take that trip - you guessed it - DOWN MEMORY LANE.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails